Followers

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Woodcut Original Irving Amen 1918 "Cellist" $20~Sold $81

I saw a pair of these woodcuts in a consignment shop for $20 a piece. I could tell by the execution and style that these were one of kind originals and thought I bet this is a listed artist and I know these are worth something. So I bought them both. The one I sold was signed and titled "cellist" in colors of brown and gold with a matching very mid century appeal frame and matte. Another great find! and I kept the other one for myself. Titled "Melody" with same like colors as cellist, it is a little girl playing a flute and a bird sits by her side. It reminded me of Finley and I really want to own a piece of his work. He is an exceptional artist! A little history: Born in New York City in 1918, Irving Amen began drawing at the young age of four. By the time he was fourteen years old, he won a scholarship to the Pratt Institute. He emulated Michelangelo's masterpieces and spent years perfecting his own unique style. He is a sculpture, painter, woodcutter and print maker.
This is "Melody" the one I am keeping!
Here are other examples of his work:

No comments:

Post a Comment